Friday 9 October 2009

Chop chop......

Thursday 8th October - fresh faced and ready for our first full day of class!!

Today was our first lesson in Pattern Cutting.....a favourite of mine as I love getting stuck in and practical!
In the next few weeks we are going to be making a bodice. Today we had blocks which we had to trace around and we learnt how to put notches and to allow for seam allowance. I have had to use seam allowance before but this was back at GSCE level, so I wanted to forget all experience I had before and learn all the skills fresh so I didn't pick up any bad habits.

We were able to learn a lot in the class, not only about pattern cutting but also about the techniques used and the names around these. The main ones that stayed with me after our first class are......

Notching:
A mark which is made to indicate where a dart begins. It can also be used to indicate where the seam allowance is on the fabric.

Toile:
A sample made of the garment. This helps to see the hang and fit of a garment and to allow for any alterations before constructing the final design.

Below is a couple of photographs of how my bodice progressed throughout the day........

The initial pattern cut and marked:





In the next few weeks I'll be able to use my pattern to put together and sew using Calico which i'm looking forward to....!!

Michelle...xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment