Tuesday 27 October 2009

Black and White Design

I'm so excited to write on my blog because today was the day to make and produce our Black and White sculpture, and I had the most fun doing it!!! I had taken the weekend to collect a few bits I would need to produce my vision.

I got into uni early today to set up my model and pin the start of my dress so I had the chance to look at it and visualise my ideas.
The design throughout the day came from a lot of trial and error. I would take a step back from the dress each time something new was added.
My ideas came a lot from the mood board I created, the black and white steps on the dress came from the curve and silhouette figure mixed with the picture of the spiralling steps I found.
I used paper manipulation a lot in my piece this came as I worked through the design but I had originally researched Alexandra Zaharova and Ilya Plotnikov and their use of paper which made such striking and sculptural pieces.


I was overall very happy with my final design I feel it really showed how my piece developed from the flat image of my mood board to the sculptural design. I also felt I was able to connect with the designers and inspiration we were given at the beginning of the project.












I also enjoyed the opportunity to go round at the end of the day and look at others work and materials that were used. I was particularly taken with Kyla's use of video tape that she manipulated and used in her design. I felt this was an unlikely material to use but had such striking effects.


Today was a very good day which I thoroughly enjoyed and I can't wait to get started on our new project for this class!


Michelle...xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment